This 1977 Datsun 280Z is a rust-free Californian import with an original 170HP 2.8-liter fuel-injected engine and a 5-speed manual transmission. It features a bare metal repaint in the original 110 red color and is exempt from tax, ULEZ, and MOT.
This car was acquired by the seller a year ago and has been fixed up with a variety of repairs and upgrades. The car has been driven almost daily for the past summer and has been driven for nearly 2000 miles without any issues, including a 400 mile round trip to Cornwall. The odometer shows 55,000 miles, and while the condition of the original floors and other items suggests that it could be accurate, there is no way to confirm this.
The car is exceptionally rust-free and looks like it has never been welded, which is a rare occurrence for these cars. It starts, runs, and drives exceptionally well.
The following work has been completed during the seller’s ownership, with receipts for all parts kept:
- Cooling system overhaul: coolant flushed, new thermostat & upper housing, water pump, belt, and heater hoses.
- Fuel injection system overhaul: 6x new fuel injectors, temp sensor, replaced AAR and FPR. New air intake hose either side of the rebuilt AFM.
- 5-speed manual conversion: originally an automatic, the engine likely had an easier life. The conversion was completed using all new parts where possible. A new clutch kit and machined flywheel were installed, along with a new Nissan clutch master and new slave cylinder. A new rear main engine seal, gearstick bushings, and gearbox mount were also installed.
- Z story rear silencer with a custom 2.5″ stainless exhaust from the downpipe back by Rich’s fabrication shop.
- Major service: engine oil, oil/air/fuel filters, spark plugs, PCV valve, distributor cap & rotor arm, valve clearances adjusted.
- Rebuilt front brake calipers, along with new disks & pads. 4x wheel bearings replaced.
- Ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, sway bar end link bushes, starter motor, and new front shocks were installed.
- 15″ x 8″ Rota RKR alloys in Bronze with new tires.
- Original carpets dyed black and reinstalled.
- 240Z steering wheel, 5-speed gear knob, UK rear lights with amber indicators & an original Hitachi stereo from a UK car of the same year was sourced – all the plugs are correct, but the seller has not tried to get it working as their plan was to put a hidden Bluetooth amplifier in and keep this just for period-correct looks.
- Original seats and vinyl trim are all in good condition with only some wear present on the driver’s seat.
- Front air dam fitted. Original red valance included.
- Recent work includes fixing the heater – it works perfectly now, and the rev counter was replaced with a working unit.
- After completing this work, the car was taken to a classic car specialist who carried out a safety inspection.
The car just had a fresh oil and filter service and is ready for spring. Overall, this 280Z is a fantastic car that needs to be seen and driven to be appreciated. The V5 is present and in the seller’s name, and they are the first registered UK owner.